Monday, February 10, 2014

Pattern Review: Anywhere Dress

Pin It On January 13th, I shared about an outfit I made my daughter that consisted of a cardigan and and leggings.  Instead of using an actual cardigan pattern, I modified a dress pattern that I knew fit her well and would have the shape I was looking for.  It also was beneficial that I had it on hand and did not need to purchase another pattern.
Pattern review of dress


The pattern I used was the Anywhere Dress available at Go-To Patterns.  I have made this dress before and blogged about it on my personal blog, Without Directions, but I thought I should do an official review here too.

Sizes available:  This dress comes sized from 12 months to 12 years and thus is quite a bargain if you are sewing for multiple girls or if you are using it over and over again while your girl grows.

Pattern review of dress
Special materials required:  There are no closures or special notions required to make the dress but it is designed for knit fabrics and you may want rib knit for cuffs.

Skill level required:  This dress is super easy.  The most novice sewer would have a great time with this pattern.

I first sewed this pattern as a tester but I have sewing it a couple times now just because it is great. 
For the dress version, I did not deviate from the pattern at all.  But for the cardigan, I cut the front piece as two pieces; I did not place it on the fold.  And then I added a facing around the edge and sewed buttons on the facing.

Pattern review of dress

Good:  It is a great basic and comes with 4 sleeve lengths and a faced neckline.  The instructions are are also very clear and there are pictures that display each step.  It is a pdf pattern, so you will need to print and tape it together.

Bad:  There really is nothing negative about this pattern but I do have to say I like a ribbed neckline better than the faced neckline.  I find it easier for construction and for getting over my children's large heads.  I also have had problems with the facing popping out while the kids are wearing the dress.


Overall pattern rating:   I give this pattern 4 of 5 bolts because it is such a great basic that anyone could whip up in an afternoon (faster if you are experienced).


1 comment:

  1. The dress looks very comfortable and easy to wear. Perfect for an active kid! I prefer ribbed necklines to facings too. Facings that peek out are a pet peeve of mine!;)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!