Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pattern Review: Overnight bag

Pin It Tweens are usually big fans of sleep overs and it is at this age that they often get involved in sports. So I thought a customized overnight bag would be a lot of fun for our tweens.

I came across this great FREE pattern on the burdastyle website and had to try it out.

I used a fun print I found in the upholstery section of Joann.  I would actually recommend a heavier weight fabric than I used... so go for something the weight of denim.  I used a vinyl for the corners and loved how that added extra durability and textural interest.



Name of the pattern: Overnight bag 12/2010 #142



Pattern Source: Burdastyle

Special materials required:  You will need a 60 inch wide fabric to make the bag as designed.  My fabric was only 56" so, it is a little less deep than originally intended.  That slight modification was fine with me but I should have shortened the straps accordingly.  
pattern review: Overnight bag 12/2010 #142

Other special materials required webbing or some other durable twill fabric to create your straps, piping, hardware for the tag, and a heavy duty zipper.

pattern review: Overnight bag 12/2010 #142

Skill level required:  I would classify this as an advanced beginner project.  You have to draw out your pattern and the corners are a bit tricky.  The techniques were just a bit new for me, but if you read the instructions slowly, the actual construction is not hard.

pattern review: Overnight bag 12/2010 #142
The corners are what really make this bag.
Good:  I love the look of this bag and how it is so functional.  Other fabric great fabric choices would be denim, heavy weight upholstery, and leather.  I also think this bag would be great made in your tween's school colors.

Bad:  Nothing really ... it is free and functional.

Overall pattern rating I give this pattern 4 bolts out of 5. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the corners on the bag. I've been thinking of making an overnight bag for my oldest's 15th birthday. I had been looking at this pattern: http://www.noodle-head.com/2013/10/cargo-duffle-pattern-for-robert-kaufman.html Maybe I'll make both!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a great bag too. If you make it, we would love to hear about it. Maybe you could do a guest review?

      Delete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!