Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Western shirt using M6548

Pin It

pattern review



Towards the end of the school year, the 4th grade put on a silly play.  And I received a note from the music teacher to dress the kids in "western clothing" and bring a stick pony.  The note emphasized that there was no need to purchase anything and to be creative with items on hand.  The only requirement was that it could not be a t-shirt or very modern clothing.  Well, most of what I make Abi is pretty modern and she really had nothing that could fit the western theme.


But I had recently purchased McCalls M6548 really for the shorts and t-shirt pattern.  I had been looking for an older kid's raglan t-shirt, and another pattern geared for boys is always welcome in my house.  But, the collared shirt seamed perfect for this project.







In order to save some money and stick a bit to the intent of using what you already have, I found some pink linen blend that I had left over from a previous dress shirt I made her.  And to make it truly have some western flair, I drafted pockets with western-style flaps and bought pearled snaps for the front and pockets.




The pattern is actually pretty good.
Sizes available:  It comes in sizes 3 to 14 so it will be good for a whole range of kids.  The cover makes it clear that this was intended for boys, but it is basically a unisex style.
Special materials required:  For the dress shirt, view A, you will need some sort of button or snap and some interfacing for the collar and button placket.
Skill level required:  This shirt is very easy and was a smart choice for me to pick for a last-minute, unplanned project.  The collar does not have a stand and the sleeves are pretty basic in shape.


Good:  It was a simple project for a classic look.  I would like to use this pattern for my boy who loves a collared shirt.  I like a more traditional dress shirt with a collar stand and a separate button placket.  But the fold-over placket sure made it come together fast and it is a great option for beginners.
Bad:  I did not conduct my usual narrowing of the shirt and as you can see it is quite wide on her.  I did not mind because in the summer she will appreciate the breeze and this fall she can layer.  But, I do think the shirt runs big and you should keep that in mind when choosing your sizes.


Overall pattern rating:  I would give this pattern an overall rating of 4 bolts.





YEEEHAAA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!