Monday, November 24, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Pin It
Sally here in this stop of the Around the World Blog Hop at Sew Cool for the Tween Scene, where we blog/sew with tweens (9-13 year olds) in mind. Thanks Melanie of Filles a Maman for letting me participate.  This stop is at the blog that I co-author with another mom, Major Mama, who happens to live across the country, making this a double stop I guess. I also have a personal blog over at Daisy Chain Creations where I keep track of all of my creations, not just my tween centered ones.
What am I working on?
Recently I was the lucky winner of an Abilmente prize package over at Naeh-Connection.
Just some of the fabric I won...it felt like Christmas, seriously
I think I have now doubled my pdf sewing pattern list thanks to that prize package. My projects right now (I usually have more than one going at a time) seem to either involve one of those patterns or the fabrics that I received. I have several patterns to assemble and cut out, a couple of shirts cut out that I need to sew up and a pile of fabric just waiting to be turned into stuff.
I'm also in the Christmas mindset and am thinking of what I need to make; from pajamas to ornaments...
   
each of my kids gets at least one thing created by me each year and I always try to keep it from being a last minute thing.
How does my work differ from others?
My work specifically for Sew Cool for the Tween Scene is different in that we are focused on finding patterns and fashion ideas that work for the crazy Tween years of 9-13. Both Major Mama and I have girls in that age range and were kind of underwhelmed when it came to pattern selections for that age range, as well as being a little appalled at the retail world's offerings. Either they were still little girl-ish or too adult looking. We've made it our mission track down patterns that allow them to dress a little more maturely but at the same time remain modest and age appropriate. Just in the last year it's been fun to see many pattern creators expanding their size ranges and to be creating some stylish designs that work for this age group. You can read more about it here.
Why do I create what I do?
I create because I can, because I need an outlet that allows me to have immediate (compared to motherhood) results and because creativity is a stress reliever. A favorite quote of mine goes "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul." and sewing helps me with that desire.
Thought I'd share a picture of the other gal I create for.
How does my creating process work?
It usually starts with a need or a bit of inspiration of fabric or pattern that catches my eye. Or when one of my girls says they would like something, I usually try to create it for them...within reason of course. I love it when they come to me and say "I need a black skirt for my upcoming band concert." or "Could you make me a poodle skirt for our themed Read-a-Thon?" It gives me a chance to think it through and make something that is not only needed but personally made for them. I love it!

For the non-sewing/creating part of blogging, the writing, I love coming up with our posts that follow trends and current fashion. I have fun pursing the internet for inspiration and seeing the beautiful creations of others.

Now to pass the baton on to someone else...check out Stacy at The Land of KA! She creates such stylish clothing for her kids and for herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!